I found it!!
I finally found a granola bar recipe I love!!
You see, we don’t do cereal around here. I can’t do dairy, and as soon as I bring cereal back into this house-that is suddenly all everyone wants to eat. We shun cereal and all of it’s sugary yumminess.
I am also, unfortunately, SUPER lazy in the morning. And I sleep until the last possible second before I have to take Pais to school. Some mornings I wake up early enough to make them eggs and toast. Or just toast… I have found I have the most success with something we can grab and run with.
So I\’ve been making granola bars. And I\’ve been trying one recipe after another trying to find the one. The problem with store bought bars? They are either mostly sugar OR too expensive if they’re not!! I wanted something hearty, not drowning in brown rice syrup and full of protein so that’s all I need to eat.
These are perfect.
I found the recipe here. It’s brilliant because it is completely customizeable AND can be as gluten-free, raw, vegan, organic and healthy as you want it to be!
- 3 C OATMEAL (you can use gluten-free, organic, etc.)
- 1/2 C HONEY OR MAPLE SYRUP OR HALF OF BOTH
- 1/2 C NUT BUTTER
- 2 CUPS OTHER STUFF (flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts, dried fruit, raisins, chocolate chips, etc.)
- MIX all the ingredients together and press into a parchment lined 9×13 pan.
- CHILL for 30 min.
- BAKE (or don’t bake if you want them to be raw) at 200 F for 30 min.
- CUT after they’re chilled or baked and cooled. Store in an airtight container.
Amazing. I have sprouted pumpkin seeds to use, flax seeds, chia seeds, almonds and I DO NOT LIKE dried fruit and raisins in my granola bars. I also had to throw in some left over dark chocolate and walnuts. I used peanut butter and honey (next time I want to try almond butter-yum!) They are delicious, my girls love them AND they keep me full until lunch. I\’m completely in love. I opted to keep them raw and just chilled them. They are a bit crumbly but they’re so tasty we don’t really care.
Do you have a favorite healthy breakfast treat that is grab-and-go?? Tell me about it!!