Back in college my roommate made the most amazing cookies-pumpkin chocolate chip, something I’d never had before. They were moist, chocolatey and pumpkiny-everything you want for a halloween-season treat. The recipe was simple-a box of spice cake mix, a bag of chocolate chips and a can of pumpkin-that was it! So easy and so delicious.
Fast-forward to now. I’m trying to get away from cake mixes (we’re not in love with hydrogenated oils) and I’m getting a little prideful in my baking (I don’t need no cake mix!!) and I love having the option of making these organic or gluten free. So I went on a mission to find a homemade spice cake mix recipe. I found the perfect one here from iambaker. I was a little bit nervous about using a scratch cake mix and just throwing in pumpkin and chocolate chips but it worked out amazing! I put together all of the dry ingredients:
Added some pumpkin…
And my most favorite dark chocolate chips:
Broke out the lunch lady scooper (necessary for all good recipes) and scooped those evenly distributed cookies onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
Aren’t they pretty? They tasted amazing too.
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice (or equivalent)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Mix all dry ingredients together. Add pumpkin, vanilla and chocolate chips. Mix until well incorporated.
- Scoop cookie sized balls leaving room for spread.
- Bake at 375° F for 12-15 minutes.
- Eat with a big glass of milk or hot chocolate!